Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Racism - still alive and well :-(

Today I was in Austin, and when I finished work, I decided to get a haircut while I was still down there so I could allow some of the traffic to thin out. I stopped at a haircut salon I used to go to while I lived there and put my name on the list for the first available individual.

After several minutes, and several customers being called, a handsome middle-eastern barber called the man who's name was on the list right above mine. The man was seated near me, and suddenly he announced he had "forgotten I have to be somewhere." Then, as he walked out the door, he turned to me and said "there's no way I'm letting a terrorist cut MY hair".

Well thank GOD the barber didn't hear the comment! He just said something about "I wonder why he sat there so long before he realized he had to be somewhere?". But I'm sure based on the man's reaction and the fact my bottom jaw was on the floor for a good ten minutes, he had to have figured it out.

I felt so bad for him. He was a really nice guy, making an honest living, and doing a good job cutting hair (at least he did a good job with mine), and some closed minded person treats him like that because his ancestry, which he has no control over, happens to be different.

I wish I could have been quick minded enough to say something to the racist jerk. Unfortunately, the shock of the moment left me completely speechless so I didn't get to tell him what I thought about his feelings of having a "terrorist cut his hair."

Racism and hatred suck.

No comments: