Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Very Direct Attack on my Vanity!

This past weekend saw the annual pilgramage of one of my best friends from college and I going to Lubbock to catch a Tech football game. Who knew that when we flew out Saturday morning that the day could turn into such a tragedy for my fragile ego?!?!

First, in order to understand why this might have happened, it is important for me to note that this game was the official "Family Day" football game for the year. We did not know that at the time we made the decision to attend the game.

Upon leaving the hotel to head to the stadium, two women joined us in the elevator. We made typical small talk in the elevator while riding down, when one of the women asked us if we had children attending Tech. Now excuse me - I am 31!! To have an 18 year old freshman, I would have had to father the thing at the age of 13. Now granted, that IS biologically possible, but let me assure everyone that if I HAD fathered a child at age 13 (and yes - we know there are many reasons that couldn't have happened) I would still be grounded by my parents at the age of 31 and not be allowed to attend any Tech football games.

Therefore, I can only assume that the woman must have figured I am older than 31. A LOT older than 31. Now I know that I am not exactly a Backstreet Boy-esque young guy (and yes - that certainly ages me), but seriously - old enough to have a kid in college?

Well, little does this woman know how close she came to death in that elevator! Lucky for her the shock of even being asked had not worn off by the time the elevator reached the lobby. The anger set in somewhere in the parking lot on the way to the car, and she had managed to escape by then.

So now the question for my friends - do I really look so old and tired that I look like I could have a kid in college? And yes - this post is a desperate attempt to get compliments, so send them! ;-)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Ok, I'll run with this. No you certainly do NOT look old enough to have an 18 year old. It is my experience that people are uncomfortable with silence. Especially is a close proximity like an elevator. The anxiety translates into stupid comments that people blurt out without thinking.

Don't sweat it. You're DEFINITELY no older than 36!

JUST KIDDING!!!

Aggie99 said...

Of course you don't look that old. But I must admit I got a really good laugh when Bryan told me the story!! :)